Welcome to SOLVE
Welcome to SOLVE by ControlUp.
ControlUp SOLVE gives you powerful, comprehensive, real-time monitoring and analysis in a hosted web application.
Accessing ControlUp via a web interface means there’s less resource consumption on the endpoints that are logging in and viewing the data, giving you and your users a leaner, more performance-driven experience.
SOLVE provides a wide range of new functionality including:
- Dashboard widgets that have been configured to provide you the latest, most relevant information on your environments, right out-of-the-box.
- Topology view of your environment that displays the relationships between components. Discovered components are displayed dynamically. You can drill down from each component to access detailed performance information.
- Drill down from any component in the topology or dashboard widgets with powerful contextual navigation built from our recommendations engine.
- Data grids from the ControlUp console with a more modern look and feel, plus lots of new features.
The main navigation on the left gives you the option to select how the data is displayed and which data to display.
Your organization is represented in the same tree structure as in the ControlUp console. You can choose to open and close the tree with the open triangle icon on the left side, just below the page navigation icons.
The data in the Dashboard and Discovery views are displayed in the SOLVE web page, based on the context you selected in the organization tree. For example, if you set up a folder in the ControlUp Console to represent the components that belong to a certain team in your organization, when you highlight that folder in SOLVE, only the performance and monitoring data for those components are displayed in the topology, widgets and columns.
When a folder is highlighted in the tree affecting the data displayed, this message is displayed telling you what data you are seeing: Focusing on: <folder name>.
The dashboard provides out-of-the-box widgets with easy-to-understand visual indicators of many of the metrics, performance indicators, and details found in ControlUp. These widgets provide more insight so you can better understand the performance and status of your environment. The out-of-the-box widgets include:
- Single statistics. Number of running hosts, average logon duration in seconds, datastore free space in terabytes, and more.
- Gauges. Computed based on data types, such as session and process stress levels.
- Bar graphs. Categorized data on specific metrics, including:
- Top 5 processes by CPU usage
- Top 5 processes by memory utilization
- Top 5 processes by disk usage
- Top user sessions by CPU consumption
- Slowest logons
- Line graphs. Analyzing data from different sources. For example, averages, usage percentages, and usage over time.
If you drill down into any of the widgets, you can see the Discovery view which includes the new Topology view and the data grid below. You see this data based on the context of the widget you clicked in the Dashboard view and its related metrics.
User Experience and Resources Selection
You can choose to view the dashboard based on these selections:
- User Experience: Displays all the metrics relevant to the end-user computing experience. These can include logon duration, user sessions, and more. You can view the metrics that affect how your users are experiencing your IT environment.
- Resources: Displays all the metrics relevant to the infrastructure of your IT environment. These can include CPU usage, memory, network, machines, disk space, etc.
- All: Displays metrics for both User Experience and Resources. This is the default display.
Discovery View with Topology
The Discovery View enables you to perform accurate investigations on real-time data. The data displayed gives you accurate, targeted information about your systems, so you can efficiently discover issues as they arise.
There are dedicated pages with specific widgets and columns depending on what you choose to highlight in the topology at the top of the page.
The topology view is a new feature that displays your organization visually, showing the connections between all the elements in your monitored environment. Each of the elements can be drilled down to provide more information and monitoring details.
- When drilling down from the topology, the elements are displayed in the dashboard widgets and grid below.
- When drilling down to objects in the dashboard or the grid, use the topology to navigate between the objects that are related to the element you drilled down to, both parent and child elements.
SOLVE Access and Login
You can access SOLVE either directly via its URL or from the ControlUp Console. First-time access must be done through the Console.
When you access via the URL, you must also identify a ControlUp organization name at the end of the URL: https://solve.controlup.com/ORG_NAME where ORG_NAME is your ControlUp organization’s name.
The login to both ControlUp and SOLVE is now more secure and includes using a one-time passcode (OTP).
For details on how to configure login settings and access SOLVE, see Login Flow for The ControlUp Console v8.2 and Up & SOLVE 1.0 and Up.